Monday, October 1, 2012

Copycat Amy's Tamale Pie

I pinned this recipe last week and I am so glad I did, I will definitely be making this again.
 
I can never follow a recipe exactly unless I'm baking, call me a rebel or not sure if it's the culinary school in me. I stayed true pretty true to this recipe. Where I differed was in cooking time I wanted my zucchinis to have a little crunch to them so I dialed back the simmering time. I also added cheese, cheese makes everything better.  
 
1 15oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
1 15oz can corn, drained
2 small zucchini, cut into tiny pieces
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
red pepper flakes (optional)

Topping: 1 package instant corn bread mix, made to directions (set aside) Next time I make this I will try topping it with polenta. 1 cup cheddar cheese.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place all ingredients except topping into a saucepan cook for 15 minutes on medium heat. spoon ingredients into 2 6-inch pie containers, I think mine were actually to go containers. You could also make this in a glass bake ware. Top with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes. Pull out and add cornbread mixture bake for another 16 to 18 minutes or whatever your cornbread package states. Let cool for 10 and serve.

 
 
 
 
 
*I was not making these to freeze, just for dinner.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...